BITTER GOURD SUBJI
BITTER GOURD SUBJI
I know it’s been a very long time but am back with an amazing Bitter gourd subji recipe. Hope you like it and give it a try..
Bitter gourd despite of it’s taste, it is very healthy which helps in blood purification, controls blood sugar, reduces cholesterol and has cancer fighting properties.
1. Bitter gourd – 1/4 kg
2. Dessicated coconut – 1 cup
3. Sesame seeds – 1/4 cup
4. Jaggery – 1/4 cup
5. Poppy seeds – 2 tablespoon
6. Fried gram – 1 tablespoon
7. Vangibath powder – 1/4 cup
8. Oil – 2-3 tablespoon
9. Curry leaves
10. Dry chilly – 2-3
11. Mustard – 1 teaspoon
12. Tamrind – 1 lemon sized
Procedure for making bitter gourd subji:
1. Cut the bitter gourd into round slices removing the seeds.
2. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric and 1 teaspoon of salt and rest it for 1 hour.
3. Further more rinse the bitter gourd thoroughly with water.
4. In a pan, add oil and let it heat.
5. Add mustard and let it splutter out.
6. Add dry chilly, curry leaves, bitter gourd and saute it well.
7. Add salt, turmeric and jaggery to it and roast it nicely until bitter gourd becomes crispy.
8. Add tamrind juice and allow it cook in medium flame.
9. Add vangibath powder and allow it to simmer.
10. By the time it gets cooked, in an another pan dry roast poppy seeds and sesame seeds until it leaves out nice aroma.
11. In a mixer jar grind the above two roasted seeds into a fine powder.
12. Add fried gram to it and grind again.
13. Add dessicated coconut at the end and grind it for 1 round.
14. Add this mixture to the pan and mix well.
15. Add water according to your desired consistency.
Tastes good with akki rotti and rice.
SECRET TIPS : 1. Mixing turmeric and salt to bitter gourd and keeping it for an hour removes all it’s bitterness.
2. Always choose white bitter gourd over green one.
Don’t forget to let me know how it goes in the comment section when you give it a try.
If you like the recipe, kindly share it with your friends and family.
And also follow our Instagram page rasadouthana for more updates.